Cyber 9/12 Student Challenge
A group of four undergraduate students, led by CCS-AD’s Post Doctoral Fellow, Claude Fachkha competed for the first time in the Cyber 9/12 Challenge hosted by the Atlantic Council in Geneva Switzerland this April. The two day event tested international students in tackling a fictional cyber catastrophe. The team CCS-AD sent was the only team competing from the MENA (Middle East North Africa) region.
NYU Abu Dhabi Student Team
- William B Held, Freshman, Computer Science Major
- Andrew Platonov, Junior, Economics Major
- Alberto Castillo, Freshman, Mechanical Engineering Major
- Kai-Erik Jensen, Junior, Film and Political Science Major
- Mentor: Claude Fachkha, Post Doctoral Fellow, CCS-AD
In moments of crisis, when passions are roused, it is not easy matter to make decisions. That is why those who formulate policy on the state level require it’s advisors to be as clear as possible with them and pursue every option, both possible and impossible.
-Andrew Platonov, Junior, Economics Major
I was pleasantly surprised by the curiosity that competitors, many of them graduate students, demonstrated about our program. Being the first team from the Middle East to attend the competition, we brought to the table a perspective entirely different from everyone else’s.
-Alberto Castillo, Freshman, Mechanical Engineering Major
The GCSP Cyber 9/12 event was an outstanding opportunity to meet key leaders in the private and public sector of cyber-security, including Suleyman Anil, the head of NATO cyber defense. Our fellow competitors brought some serious game, but that has only motivated us to be even better in the future.
-Kai-Erik Jensen, Junior, Film and Political Science Major
As someone with a technical background, the competition definitely opened my eyes to the need for interdisciplinary cooperation to be readily prepared to face cyber attacks, especially due to the rapidly changing environment of cyber conflict.
-William B Held, Freshman, Computer Science Major
Details of Competition
- Location: Maison De La Paix in Geneva, Switzerland
- For more information on the Atlantic Council’s Cyber 9/12 Competition click here.
- For more information on the Geneva Center for Security Policy click here.